In Colossians 1:15, we read: "[Jesus] is the image of the invisible God."
God came down to our world in the person of Jesus.
God, our loving Father, wanted to do more than reveal Himself through the words of Scripture. He knew that a person we live with is much more real to us than someone we only hear about or read about in a book. So He decided to enter our world as a real, specific individual.
God came down on our level-He became like us-so He could teach us how to live and be happy, and so we could see what God is really like.
Jesus came to our world as God in human flesh. Jesus is "the Son of God" (Mark 15:39)- God made visible, the thought of God made audible. Jesus Himself said, "Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father" (John 14:9). So if you have seen Jesus, you have seen God Himself. Whenever you want to know what God is like, then look at Jesus as the Bible reveals Him.
As you read the story of Jesus in the four gospels, the first four books of the New Testament, you will discover a fascinating portrait of our Heavenly Father.
- Rough,self-sufficient fishermen dropped their nets to follow Christ, and small children flocked to receive His blessing.
- He could comfort the most devastated sinners and disarm the most self-righteous hypocrites.
- He healed everything from blindness to leprosy with the quiet assurance of a doctor prescribing a couple of aspirin.
- His two-word command: "Be still!" forced a violent storm to calm down like a naughty child brought suddenly to its senses.
- In all His actions Jesus demonstrated that God is love!
- He met human need in a way no one had ever done before Him-or has since!
Jesus' final glorious revelation of what God is like happened at the cross. That's where He died for us so that we would not have to die forever ourselves.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life" - John 3:16.
Jesus was born according to the prophecies. He fulfilled his purpose is ways that confounded the Jews and even the Apostles. He died not only to give us a happier life now, but also to give us eternal life. Jesus is God's "one and only Son" He is unique, one of a kind. He is the one and only being who is both wholly God and wholly man.
For long ages people wondered, and hoped, and dreamed about God. They saw His handiwork in the sky and in the beauties of nature. Many thought to themselves, "If only God were like this!" or, "If only God were like that!" But the beautiful, self-sacrificing life of Jesus and His death on the cross both revealed God more clearly than ever. People found themselves looking into the very face of God, seeing Him as He really is-love, eternal and immortal love!
You can discover God right now as Jesus reveals Him. That discovery will lead you to make a very personal affirmation: "Father, I love you!"